Sunday, March 2, 2008

IPhone Meets Facebook

I was just watching Saturday Night Live on DVR, and an iPhone ad I've never seen came on. I don't watch a lot of live TV (meaning I usually fast-forward through the commercials) so I'm not sure how new this one is, but I've never seen it before.

Point being, the ad featured mobile social networking as one of iPhone's main features - specifically focusing on Facebook.

My friend Eddie Radshaw - who blogs about his iPhone - has pointed out that iPhone's target demographic is students. The social networking angle makes sense in this context, and also makes me think that mobile might come around sooner than we think in the U.S. - largely thanks to iPhone's technology.

I mentioned this idea to my roommate (she's my age) and the idea of mobile social networking completely freaked her out. My question is this: will those of us who clearly weren't early adopters of social networking always be adverse to this idea, or will we drink the kool-aid eventually? My thinking is that if mobile social networking becomes applicable, in some way, to the corporate sector, it may eventually impact an older set.

1 comment:

Eddie Radshaw said...

You knew I'd respond.

This mobiel social networking is only one feature of the iPhone and it is the point of distinction for that student demographic. For people like you, Technorella, it's all about functionality and ease of use. For people like me, it's all about the "idea" or coolness.

But, can iPhone really be everything to everybody?