Saturday, February 23, 2008

LinkedIn Logic

We've been looking to hire a few people on my team at work - and it's gotten me to start thinking about LinkedIn, and how it contributes to the job hunting scene.

Our head of HR has brought us a few candidates she's come across on LinkedIn. Most of them are stellar, and could be great additions to our group. The problem? Most of the good ones aren't actually actively searching for a new job. And when it comes down to it, they typically turn down an offer from our team. Why? Because they're truly not in the market to make a move.

As a result, I feel like I've been wasting time interviewing people who don't particularly want to work at my company. On the one hand, it seems like LinkedIn is a great way to find candidates. But how truly relevant is the site when it's not actually leading to legitimate hires? I'm curious to see how things go with LinkedIn, and its role in the job search process.

2 comments:

Eddie Radshaw said...

I don't really get LinkedIn. I've been looking for a job for about 4 months now and searching on LinkedIn is no better than just emailing my friends.

Even if there was a way to put in my LinkedIn profile that I was looking for a new job wouldn't that
a.) piss off my current employer;
b.) make me look desperate;
and c.) admit that someone actually looks at that site?

Miranda Duncan said...

Eddie! I completely agree with you. People who have "robust" LinkedIn pages look like complete idiots (if you ask me). And I think it's just kind of ridiculous to think that someone's online profile is remotely indicative of who they are professionally. Honestly, the people who look to be "the best" on LinkedIn are - in my experience - completely full of it.