Monday, February 18, 2008

An Ode to Online Stalking

Typically, Technorella strives to refrain from bringing her personal life into the blog. But social networking is personal, and I can't resist commenting on a recent Facebook experience. I'm relatively new to the whole scene, and this experience - while typical - made me recognize for the first time why people are so interested in social networking.

So, I recently received an Evite for a party this coming Friday night. It's for a really good friend of mine - so imagine my suprise when looking through the guest list I came across a familiar, and uncommon, last name. Let's call it Kamikaze.

When I was living in Washington, DC, I briefly (and very casually) dated someone with the same last name. Thanks to Facebook, I was able to uncover that the Kamikaze on the Evite is actually the sister of the Kamikaze from DC. She's been friends with my friend for years - only we've never met.

Now, I'm not really sure what this discovery actually means; I'm not going to introduce myself to She-Kamikaze next weekend and bring up her brother. After all, it would be an admonition of some serious online stalking. But, still, there's something about this experience that grabbed my attention. It makes me wonder how many degrees of separation really separate us all.

2 comments:

Eddie Radshaw said...

Hello Technorella,

I think someone's hooked on the social networking now... stalker.

-Eddie, your biggest fan

Miranda Duncan said...

Hi Eddie,

I am YOUR biggest fan. Yes, Technorella is getting into social networking... slowly but surely!