Thursday, February 14, 2008

Some Thoughts on Twitter...


I spent some time last night thinking about Gypsii - and what it means for the future of social networking (and communications generally). And I got to thinking about Twitter.


I am not a Twitter user - so I checked out their page this morning. According to the site, this is why you should use Twitter:


"Because even basic updates are meaningful to family members, friends, or colleagues—especially when they’re timely. Eating soup? Research shows that moms want to know. Running late to a meeting? Your co–workers might find that useful. Partying? Your friends may want to join you."
Okay, those seem like logical reasons for staying connected. But I still don't see the point in essentially sending mini-blogs to my social circle about the ins-and-outs of my existence. My mom loves me, but I really don't think she cares about what I'm eating for lunch. I may indeed be running late to a meeting - but I have a Blackberry and a cell phone - so I'm not sure what added value Twitter offers there.
Again, I'm left wondering: has this craze gone too far? Are social networking sites going to tumble as quickly as they rose? According to a recent BusinessWeek article, social networking sites are experiencing a slow-down. Maybe it's just too much too fast.

No comments: